Director of Radiology at John Peter Smith Health Network in Fort Worth, TX
Nearly 25 years ago my life changed with a diagnosis of cancer and I could no longer remain as an active member of the United States Merchant Marines and USCG. Faced with the challenges of having to reevaluate my career choices, I was touched by many caring imaging technologists throughout my diagnosis and treatment. As a patient, the care these individuals afforded me, helped me to determine the future direction of my life. I began my second career as a radiology technologist and sonographer with a goal of becoming an imaging administrator. Along my leadership journey, I was introduced to the AHRA by my co-worker, mentor, and dear friend. That was way back in 2004! All I can say is THANK YOU to those who have served before me on the AHRA Board of Directors. Your efforts have paved the way for myself and so many others to become efficient and effective leaders in this ever changing industry. I have grown under the guidance of AHRA, and worked on many levels to serve others in the organization. I have had the honor of serving on the RACC for the past 3 years, 6 years on the Curriculum Committee, presented numerous times at the Annual and Spring Conferences since 2009, AHRA Liaison to the SDMS and AHRA Liaison for the Consensus Conference for Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders. I believe in the AHRA and would be honored to serve on the Board of Directors representing you, our AHRA members because you are not just my peers… you are my family.
Question & Answer
What do you see as the primary role of AHRA’s Board of Directors?
The primary role of the AHRA Board of Directors is to strategically plan to address the changes in imaging, whether they are regulatory, reimbursement-related, new technologies, best practices, or continued building of leadership skills.
What makes you an excellent leader?
I try to lead by example. I believe in sharing knowledge and opportunities to educate new leaders such as the AHRA Basic Management Track. I am not perfect, but I do my best to communicate effectively with my team and peers. I am committed and passionate about the services we as leaders, provide to our staff, patients, and physicians.
How do you define governance? Describe your experience with strategic planning.
Governance is the process of oversight, decision-making, and accountability within a group of designated representatives for an organization. As a team with a shared vision, the goal would be to create, guide and institute an idea bringing our organization, AHRA, to the next level. I have vast experience with strategic planning in construction and acquisition. I would relish the opportunity to work on the AHRA Board of Directors to address and map out the future of our organization.
What was your initial reason for joining AHRA, and why do you choose to continue your membership?
My initial reason for joining the AHRA was to build upon my understanding and administrative skill sets specific to radiology. Radiology has its own unique factors and regulatory requirements that call for constant awareness to changes and best practices. I continue my membership because AHRA has been at the forefront of all the dynamic changes taking place in medical imaging.
What would you say to a peer who was on the fence about becoming a member?
My first response would be, I don’t remember a time when AHRA was not an intricate part of my daily workflow. From hot topics and best practices to forums to sharing ideas and asking for advice, AHRA is a necessity to radiology industry. How could you afford to not be a part of this amazing organization of imaging leaders?
Professional History and Experience
Medical Imaging Management: 19 Years
Medical Imaging: 23 Years
• 2019-Present: Director of Radiology, John Peter Smith Health Network, Fort Worth TX
• 2011-2019: Director of Medical Imaging, Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare, Tallahassee FL
• 2008-2011: Executive Director of Imaging, Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center/Adventist Health, Daytona Beach FL
• 2006-2008: Manager of Women’s Imaging, Gwinnett Medical Center, Lawrenceville GA
• 2004-2006: Outpatient Imaging Center Manager, Vassar Brothers Medical Center, Poughkeepsie NY
• 2000-2004: DMS Clinical Coordinator, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville FL and Rochester MN
Certified Chief Steward,
US Merchant Marines/USCG/Military Sealift Command,
Jacksonville FL, Baltimore MD and Duluth MN
Warren National University
Health & Human Service Systems Administration,
St. Mary’s University of Minnesota
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Program-General Vascular,
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine/Health-Related Sciences
Medical Imaging and HealthCare Administration,
Metropolitan State University
AA and AAS,
• 2016: FAHRA, AHRA
• 2005: CRA, RACC
• 2002: RDMS (AB, OB, BR, NE), ARDMS
• 2002: RVT, ARDMS
• 2000: RT(R), ARRT
AHRA / AHRA EF Offices, Appointments, and Activities
AHRA member since 2005, CRA since 2005, Fellow since 2016
• 2019: Vice-Chair, RACC
• 2018: Secretary/Treasurer, RACC
• 2017: Commissioner, RACC
• 2016-2019: AHRA Liaison Representative, Sonography/SDMS Annual Liaison/Board of Directors Meeting
• 2013-2018: Committee Member, AHRA Curriculum Committee
• 2016: AHRA Liaison Representative, Consensus Conference: Work Related MSK Disorders Consensus Conference for Industry Standards
• 2016: Organizer, AHRA Florida Big Bend Area Meeting
• 2016-2020: Speaker, AHRA Basic Track for Spring and Annual Meetings
• 2013: Award for Excellence, Award Recipient
• 2009, 2010, 2018: Speaker, AHRA Annual and Spring Conference General Sessions
• 2007: Item Writer, CRA Exam
Other Professional and Community Activities
• 2017-2019: RACC, Vice-Chair, Secretary/Treasurer, Commissioner
• 2012-2018: Health Connect Partners, Educational Advisory Board Member
• 2015-2019: Pointe East HOA, President
• 2009-2010: American Cancer Society, East Central Coastal Unit, Operating Board Member
• 2010: American Cancer Society, Making Strides-Chairperson
• 2009: American Cancer Society, Making Strides-Vice Chair
• 2007: Paint Gwinnett Pink, Secretary
<<Previous Candidate Next Candidate>>