Director, Radiology Services at University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics in Madison, WI
Soon after beginning my Radiology career I specialized in MRI – a technology still early in development. It quickly became apparent that the resources provided by professional organizations would be the key to my success and I became an active member of the Section for Magnetic Resonance Technologists (SMRT). My involvement grew into spending several years in leadership roles within the SMRT. There was so much reward associated with connecting with like-minded people and leading the growth and development of the
organization! It was something I knew I’d always want to do.
My AHRA membership didn’t begin until 2009, when my career focus widened from MRI to Radiology in general. The rich resources available and the people I met made me wish I had joined so much earlier. Immediately I wanted to become more involved, make deeper connections, and participate in the growth and success of AHRA. It was an easy next step to
become an active volunteer. It’s with pride that I’ve served on the Product Development Committee, been a Rapid Reviewer, worked on the Member Development Campaign, was on the Annual Meeting Design Team, authored a textbook chapter, participated in the Defining our
Future Campaign, wrote for Link, and became a Fellow.
My background provides great groundwork for my continued contributions to AHRA. Serving my first term on the board has given me the understanding to provide solid recommendations and offer supportive governance. My manner is approachable and upbeat, and I like to include
fun with hard work. It would truly be an honor to serve a second term on the AHRA Board!
Question & Answer
What do you see as the primary role of AHRA’s Board of Directors?
The Board ‘s responsibility is to oversee the management and the governance of the AHRA.
What makes you an excellent leader?
Transparency, open communication, empowering others, being outcomes-oriented, honesty and integrity.
How do you define governance? Describe your experience with strategic planning.
Governance is acting on behalf of the membership, setting organizational direction, ensuring accountability and compliance with policies and practices, and having the authority to make decisions.
I have been involved in Strategic Planning during my first Board Term, and also in my personal professional life at organizations where I was or am employed.
What was your initial reason for joining AHRA, and why do you choose to continue your membership?
My initial reason was to be part of a professional organization that was focused on imaging management and leadership. I wanted to communicate with and meet other people who were facing the same challenges as I. Also, I had been focused solely on MRI for so long, I needed resources to help get me back up to speed with a broader knowledge of Radiology practices across the whole continuum. I continue my membership because I get super value from it and I love the people!
What would you say to a peer who was on the fence about becoming a member?
Why are you the fence? There is no down side to this! It’s one of the best career development decisions you’ll ever make!
Professional History and Experience
Medical Imaging: 20 Years
• 2014-Present: Director, Radiology Services, University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics, Madison, WI
• 2009-2014: Radiology Business Operations Manager, University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics, Madison, WI
• 2008-2009: Clinical Content Facilitator – Domain Expert, University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics, Madison, WI
• 2001-2008: Radiology Manager – MRI, University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics, Madison, WI
• 2000-2001: Sales Applications Specialist, GE Medical Systems, Waukesha, WI
• 1999-2000: Sales Manager – Eastern Region, IGC Medical Advances, Milwaukee, WI
• 1998-1999: Advanced Applications/ Market Development – Magnetic Resonance, GE Medical Systems, Waukesha, WI
• 1994-1998: MRI Applications Specialist, Lunar Corporation, Madison, WI
• 1990-1994: MRI Supervisor, Mercy Hospital, Iowa City, IA
• 1986-1990: Staff Technologist – MR, CT; Senior Technologist – Radiology, St Luke’s Hospital, Cedar Rapids, IA
• 1985-1986: Staff Technologist – Radiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
• 2006: MBA, Business, Cardinal Stritch University, WI
• 2002: B.S., Health Arts, University of St. Francis, IL
• 1984: Diploma, Radiography, Mercy/St. Luke’s School of Radiologic Technology, IA
• 1984: R.T.(R), ARRT
• 1995: R.T.(MR), ARRT
AHRA / AHRA EF Offices, Appointments, and Activities
AHRA member since 2009, CRA since 2016, Fellow since 2018
• 2009-2015: Committee Member, Rapid Review Committee
• 2013-Present: Committee Member, Product Development Committee
• 2013-Present: Member, AHRA Annual Design Team
• 2011-12: Zone 4 State Leader, Development Campaign
• 2012: Volunteer, Annual Meeting
• 2016-2019: AHRA Representative, Joint Commission’s Ambulatory Care Professional & Technical Advisory Committee (PTAC).
Other Professional and Community Activities
• 2000-2011: Section for Magnetic Resonance Technologists, Policy Board Member, Member of Various Operational Committees Executive Committee Member, Membership Committee Chairperson, Annual Educational Seminar Chairperson, External Relations Chairperson, Secretary of the Section
• 2009: Section for Magnetic Resonance Technologists, Fellow of the Section Award
• 2010-2013: Novation Diagnostic Imaging Council, Member, Vice-Chair and Chair
• 2003-Present: University HealthSystem Consortium Imaging Council, Steering Committee Member
• 1990-Present: Section for Magnetic Resonance Technologists, Member
• 2014-Present: American College of Healthcare Executives, Member
Other Board Experience
• 2000-2011: Section for Magnetic Resonance Technologists, Policy Board Member, Executive Committee Member, Membership Committee Chairperson, Annual Educational Seminar Chairperson, External Relations Chairperson, Executive Committee Member, Secretary of the Section
• 2005-Present: Section for Magnetic Resonance Technologists, RCEEM Ad-hoc Committee Member
<<Previous Candidate Next Candidate>>